Did you know a Building License is required by law? 

Without a license, you are putting yourself and your business at risk. Master Builders SA can help. Below is an overview about obtaining your license. Confused or need more information? Talk to one of our friendly Advisors on 8211 7466 or email membership@mbasa.com.au


Building Work Licence

Applicants must satisfy the Commissioner of Consumer and Business Affairs and meet the following criteria.

  • You must supply a National Police Clearance Certificate, if you are a company or a partnership, this must be for every Director. (Certificate must be no more than 12 months old).
  • You MUST NOT have declared bankruptcy. (Persons who have been bankrupt are not allowed to obtain a Licence until 5 years after they have been discharged from the bankruptcy).
  • You must have sufficient financial resources.  
    • For Contractors: You will be asked to sign a Statutory Declaration that you have a minimum of $10,000 worth of assets.
    • For General Builder: You will need to provide proof that you have a minimum of $100,000 of assets or, you can provide a ‘Certificate of Eligibility’ for Building Indemnity Insurance.  Our Insurance Dept. MBAIS can assist you in obtaining this certificate. 
  • You must have sufficient business knowledge. To satisfy this requirement you must do two short modules: Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements of Small Business and Plan Small Business Finance, otherwise known at Master Builders SA as the ‘Contractors Licensing Units’. If you are a company, only one director needs to do this course. If you are in partnership then each director must complete.


Building Work Supervisor’s Registration

In addition to the above, applicants must be able to satisfy the Licensing Office and provide the following evidence:

  • You have managed building work.
  • What you do and how you do it.
  • How you plan, organise, direct and control building work.

You MAY be asked to complete an interview with Consumer Business Services.  Master Builders SA can assist you in preparing for this interview through our Licensing Preparation Service.


Contact Us

For further information about licensing, please contact our Member Services team on 08 8211 7466, or email membership@mbasa.com.au 


Applying for your Building work Licence and/or Supervisor’s Registration

With the following you can now apply for your Builder’s Licence and/or Supervisor’s Registration.

  • Your Contractors Licensing Course Statement of Attainment.
  • Any other Certificates (Example: Trade Certificates or evidence of previous studies).
  • National Police Clearance Certificate.
  • Resume listing your building work experience.
  • References from licensed people or companies you have done work for (min. 2 required).
  • Photos of some of the building work you have carried out (if available)


Resources and Useful Links

MBASA Interview Preparation

MBASA Flyer 'Get Licensed'

Consumer and Business Services

Building Work Contractors Licence Information:

Business Criteria Contractors; companies and individuals 

Supervisor Registration Guidelines and Criteria:

Building Work Supervisor Schedule 2 - Registration Performance Criteria